Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Only Real Choice for Browsing the Web

Are you using Firefox as your primary browser yet? In the last 2 years there has been almost no reason to use anything else. Nearly two years ago, when I first downloaded the browser, I remember thinking that 'gee this is OK but it's not that much different than Microsoft or Netscape'. That was before I knew what an extension was. Extensions are plug ins that add to the customization of the Firefox GUI. As it turns out Firefox is highly customizable. You can turn it into the safest browser for surfing the web, you can turn it into the best for downloading all kinds of pictures and movies, you can even download a really vertical browser for tracking packages, or working with spreadsheets, or blogging... or you can be like most of us and turn your Firefox browser into all those things and more. There has never been a browser as powerful and customizable as Firefox. It is by far the 'best of breed' and anyone who thinks anything different just doesn't know what they are talking about. If I were Safari or on the IE team, or involved in any way with any other browser (including Flock and Netscape) I would be crying in my beer. Because as far as I, and most others, are concerned Firefox has walked away with cake and I can't imagine anyone else ever catching them. Their user supported and developed browser 'extensions' bring such a healthy and strong feature set that it is very hard to imagine how anyone could do anything else with a browser.

Therefore, after you download the browser from the link below don't forget to work your way through some of the more popular extensions and whenever you have a need, or some free time, go back to the 'extension/addon' page and see what else is available.

I will be reviewing Firefox extensions on this site as well, so you'll get some good ideas from this blog and there are a host of other bloggers who offer comments on Firefox extensions as well. So just punch in the 'Firefox' label here and you'll get a good list of extensions and recommendations.

Get the browser itself at the link below
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

After you install Firefox you can pick out the extensions you want from this page
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:1/cat:all

There are also skins, they call them 'themes' but there are hundreds of ways to customize how Firefox looks to you. You can access everything from the home page but I'll post this link for you here as well and don't even make me think about talking about plug-ins.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:2/cat:all

No comments: